Most of us don’t consider excess body weight as a problem. We can’t control food.We have reduced physical activity, do not exercise and these activities increasing our body weight. . Nowadays, youth are interested in losing weight for beauty. But not only beauty, excess weight but also cause many kinds of terrible diseases.
Today we will discuss the causes of weight gain, what diseases can cause overweight or obesity and how to lose weight in a healthy way. So let’s start.
Normal weight criteria:
In medical term, BMI (Body Mass Index) is used to understand or determine whether the weight is right with the height of the body.
Body weight is normal if the BMI value is 18.5-24.9. Less than 18.5 is underweight, malnourished. If it is 25-29.9 it is called overweight. And if it is more than 30 then that person falls in the stage of obese person. The formula for determining BMI value is, BMI = weight ÷ (height)^2, where height should be taken in meters.
Reasons for increased body weight
Body weight can increase due to various reasons. Factors include family history, lack of exercise, and the effects of certain diseases.
The reasons for weight gain are:
1. Family History:
If the parents are obese, their children are very likely to be overweight or obese. Much of how fat is consumed in our body and how much is stored is genetically controlled. In addition, the food selection and food consumption habits of the family members influence the eating habits of the next generation and contribute to weight gain.
2. Excess food intake: We waste a certain amount of calories in daily activities and physical activities. We meet these daily caloric needs by eating food. If we consume more calories than we need, it leads to weight gain. So a person should eat food according to his daily calorie requirement.
3. Taking liquid calories and eating fast food:
Nowadays, almost everyone is addicted to fast food, cold drinks and soft drinks. A bottle of cold drink that we drink contains a lot of sugar, which acts as a source of high calories. Fried foods, fast food, cakes, chocolate etc. contain a lot of calories that causes weight gain.
4. Not doing physical work:
Sitting continuously in the office or doing jobs that do not involve physical exertion, laziness, lack of exercise, etc. lead to weight gain.
5. Some diseases can cause weight gain:
Hypothyroidism, hormonal imbalance, polycystic ovary syndrome etc. cause weight gain. Being pregnant, taking insulin, and some medications also cause weight gain.
These were the reasons for weight gain. Now let’s come to what problems or diseases can be caused due to weight gain.
Disease due to excess weight :
1. Heart problems and stroke:
Being overweight increases the risk of various heart diseases. Being overweight increases blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels, which can lead to heart disease and stroke.
2. Type-2 diabetes:
Being overweight or obese increases the risk of developing type-2 diabetes many times over.
Increases insulin resistance and the person may develop diabetes.
Osteoarthritis is a bone joint disease. Being overweight increases the risk of this disease.
4. Cancer: Obesity increases the risk of colon cancer, breast cancer, kidney cancer, esophagus cancer, ovary, gallbladder cancer etc.
5. Gallbladder diseases and gallstones:
Being overweight increases the risk of gallstones and various types of gallbladder disease.
6. Mental problems: Overweight can cause various types of mental problems including clinical depression, anxiety. Obese people often suffer from inferiority complex. As a result, they cannot enjoy life.
Being overweight can also lead to sleep apnea, irregular periods in girls and pregnancy complications.
So keeping weight under control is very important.
Ways to lose weight healthily:
Many people start a strict diet to lose weight very quickly. They reduce the amount of food, start overexerting. Which can be reversed. Losing weight too quickly through a strict diet can lead to various health complications.
Remember, gradual weight loss is more beneficial and harmless than rapid weight loss.
Some tips for weight loss:
1. Take food on a small plate:
A small plate of food will make you feel like you’re full, which will help you eat less and lose weight.
2. Drink water before eating: Drink 1-2 glasses of water before every meal. It will keep your stomach full, don’t eat too much. Drink water at intervals throughout the day. Drink 10-12 glasses of water a day.
3. Eat more vegetables and fruits: Vegetables and fruits have very few calories. So keep more vegetables and fruits in your diet than rice and meat. Eat less rice. If you feel hungry between two meals, you can eat cucumbers, tomatoes, and fruits. Those fruits have more water. These fruits are more beneficial for weight loss.
4. Avoid junk food, fast food: Fast food, soft drinks, cakes contain a lot of calories. If you want to lose weight, avoid eating these foods. It can be one day in a month. But you should not eat fried foods and soft drinks every day.
5. Take food at specific times:
If you want to lose weight, it is not right that you have to skip one meal, you can eat in 3 meals, but in moderation. Breakfast can never be omitted. Try to eat something heavy in the morning. Keep rice, meat, and pulses in small quantities in all three meals. Replace these with vegetables. In the morning you can eat 2 pieces of bread and an egg.You can eat a cup of rice in the noon with 2 pieces of chicken meat, vegetables.Lastly a little rice or a piece of bread, vegetables and salad for dinner. Avoid overeating. Avoid greasy, oily foods. Eat at least 2-4 hours before going to bed.
6. Exercise regularly:
Daily half an hour of brisk walking or running, skipping, cycling will be very effective in reducing your weight. Try to do housework yourself. Use stairs instead of elevators in the office or college. You can choose a specific time in the morning or afternoon to exercise.
7. Avoid eating sugar: If you want to lose weight, avoid eating sugar or eat very little, you should not eat more than 5 spoons of sugar in a week. Do not use sugar in tea, coffee. Take less salt.
8. Make a diet plan: Know your body’s caloric needs and make a diet chart accordingly. By no means should your caloric intake exceed your daily caloric needs. If you want to lose weight, consume fewer calories than the regular calorie requirement. Avoid high-calorie foods and consume low-calorie foods (vegetables, fruits). It will also fill the stomach, and calories will not be taken too much.
Excess weight causes us many kinds of problems. So keep weight under control, live a healthy and beautiful life.